Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Charity in Style

Yes, we are in a recession. Things are tough all the way around. In times like these though we must think of each other. Think of "community" rather than "me". I'm talking locally, nationally & globally. We've all heard that what you give is what you get, so here are a few ways you can lend a helping hand to your constituency that don't require you to dole out lots of your hard earned cash.

In case you haven't had the pleasure, allow me to introduce you to Capucine. She is quite possibly the most adorable little story teller I've ever laid eyes on & she is calling on you to help the children of Mongolia have the same opportunities she does at school. You can purchase T-shirts with Capucine's drawings on them to help drop some knowlege.

Capucine for Edurelief in Mongolia from Capucha on Vimeo.

****

I was outraged when I read about the assaults in Mangalore last month. 40 angry men assaulted a group of women who were found drinking in a pub called The Lounge. Why? They were asking for it? Hell no! Simply put, they felt that these women were bucking Indian culture. So these "self-styled moralists" took it upon themselves to show these women that they found their actions unacceptable, by chasing them, pushing them to the ground and even punching them and pulling their hair. In response to these horrific actions women all over India gathered up their pink chaddis (aka panties) and mailed them off to Mr Muthalik, the leader of Sri Rama Sene who was the brains behind this attack. Why pink panties?
Well, they were a Valentines day gift that said something you can't find the perfect card for. I mean, where can you find a card that says 'You can't shame us into submission!'? I do believe that the chaddi drive is over, but their fight for equality is not! Visit The Pink Chaddi Campain to find out what their next plan of action is and please join their facebook group. For even further details check out Ultra Violet.

****

Did you know that most women wear 20% of their wardrobe 80% of the time? I know this is true of me. I fall in and out of love in my closet almost daily. If you are in the Austin area and want to rejuvenate your wardrobe then I have just the thing for you! The Austin Womens Clothing Swap will be held on Saturday, March 28th. This is gives you plenty of time to clean out your closet! Come out, make friends, & get your swap on! All unclaimed garments at the end of the day will be donated to Safe Place.
Win Win! Check the link for more details.

***

Also, don't forget that I will be giving 10% of all Model Citizen Clothing profits to The ARCH until the end of March. The ARCH is an amazing place that really gives people an opportunity to get off the street. They offer job placement assistance, have a laundry facility, clean showers, & a doctors office all on site. They even offer art and yoga classes to their clients. An incredibly worthy cause!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't Capucine the cutest???

I posted a video about her too- on Valentines Day. Because I heart her.

Model Citizen aka Bonnie Rue said...

She is soo the cutest!
I'm going to check out your blog now! :)